The original dwelling on the site is believed to have been a motte castle, probably constructed by Geoffrey Savage sometime in the period 1100 - 1135. This castle consisted of a motte and bailey, within which some form of house was erected. No details of this house now remain.
Nothing is known of the motte castle during this period.
Sir William Bagot, a distinguished nobleman of the time purchased the site of the
former house in about 1381 and contructed the present stone castle in 1397. The
castle is believed to have been on three storeys. with kitchen and store at ground
level, banqueting and reception on the first floor and other accommodation rooms
at the top.The castle may have looked something like the illustration here.The
remains of a turreted stair remain which probably linked all three levels. The roof
space would have had open areas to keep a watch on the surrounding fields,
probably supplemented by watch towers at each corner. There appears to have
been a moat surrounding the castle, as there remains evidence of a drawbridge to
the first floor entrance on the east side.The castle would have a clear view across
the River Sowe to the west, but the prospect to the north, east and south pose a
mystery, since the castle appears to be in a depression on these sides.
Sir William Bagot died in 1407 and the castle and estate were sold to Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick in 1417. This was one of many residences owned by the Earl, but it is not known how much time he spent there. The Earl died in 1437 and a substantial trust was set up from his will. In 1471 the castle was acquired by the Collegiate Chruch of St Mary, Warwick. It is believed that the castle was habitable after the acquisition, but it appears to have fallen out of use thereafter.
The caste was described in 1540 as being 'desolate'. In 1544 the castle site was purchased by Francis Goodere. This nobleman had many other properties elsewhere, some of which were in need of renovation and it is probable that he used stone from the 'desolate' Bagot's Castle for this purpose, causing the castle to fall into ruin. On his death ownership passed to his son, Henry.
Henry Goodere had an extravagant lifestyle and to raise cash he sold the
castle and its surrounding land to Sir William Bromley in 1618. The Bromley
family had moved into the area and established a family home at Baginton
to the north east of the castle.That became known as Baginton Hall.
In 1706 Baginton Hall burnt down. It was rebuilt and at the same tiime the
castle stones were covered, the site was levelled and laid out as a park and
pleasure garden. In 1714 a summer pavilion for the hall was constructed
to the west of the castle with a view over the River Sowe.
The second Baginton Hall burnt down and was not replaced.
The castle site, including the summer pavilion, fell into disuse
and vegetation started to take over, with trees and shrubs
covering the site.
The castle site was purchased from the Bromley family by
Coventry Boy Scouts Association, with the intention of
converting it to an adventure park, but this never materialised
and the site was eventually sold to Finham Golf Club.
The present Custodian purchased the castle and set about clearing the site of vegetation and rubbish.
With the help of donations and sponsorship, he consolidated
the remains of the castle and summer pavilion, and opened the
whole site to the public.
The castle was partially excavated between 1933-48 by the Coventry Archaeological Society. The foundations of the 14th century keep were exposed but nature then took over again and the castle was hidden by shrubs and trees. This video was shot in the 1950s